Saturday, August 8, 2009

Seeking first God's kingdom...

Between being quite busy and having some vacation time (two extremes!), I haven't posted much here lately. But here is something I read last week while on vacation. I knew I would be preaching this Sunday on Matthew 6:25-34 (Don't worry...seek first God's kingdom and His righteousness and all these things - the necessities of life - will be added to you...). So I was thinking about whether I am really doing that - seeking God's kingdom FIRST. I was challenged by the following quote from John Calvin, which I found in John Piper's book, Legacy of Sovereign Joy. It's the kind of thing that I want to be able to say about myself.

When he was thirty years old, he described an imaginary scene of himself at the end of his life, giving an account to God, and said, “The thing [O God] at which I chiefly aimed, and for which I most diligently labored, was, that the glory of thy goodness and justice . . . might shine forth conspicuous, that the virtue and blessings of thy Christ . . .might be fully displayed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment